Skip to main content

I often get asked “What is sea shamanism?” I am going to share a brief explanation of what shamanism is, what sea shamanism is, and how you can start practicing it yourself.

What is Shamanism?

Shamanism is an earth based spiritual practice that is not a religion, though you can certainly incorporate it to the religious belief such as animism.

Shamanism is a practice where a practitioner goes into altered states of consciousness to bring back healing, energy, and information from the world of spirits.

Shamans work with ancestors, helping spirits, spirits of the land, and archetypal energies.

Working with these energies they are able to help themselves, the earth, and their communities at large.

What is a Sea Shaman?

Sea shamanism is a lot like traditional, or core shamanism. Except instead of working generally with all animals and spirits of the land, a sea shaman works with only energies surrounding the ocean, seas, wetlands, and marshes.

They may work exclusively with animals that are from the water or close to the water such as:

  • Octopus
  • Sea Gulls
  • Herons
  • Osprey
  • Sharks
  • Moray Eels
  • Angler Fish
  • Seaweed
  • Kelp
  • Crabs
  • Lobster
  • etc.

Shamanic Journeys can take you to the bottom of the ocean. Remember only 5% has been explored by man to date leaving a whopping 95% still left to be explored.

They may drawn to stories or have memories from Atlantis. Which you can still visit today within Shamanic journeying or meditations.

Their goals as the same as any form of shamanism, they want to find healing, energy, and peace for themselves, the earth, and their communities.

How you can start practicing sea shamanism

I have learned over the years that we like to complicate things in our brain. Practicing shamanism isn’t that difficult, we just think it has to be difficult.

To start practicing sea shamanism all you have to do is start connecting to the energies of the ocean. Make a conscious effort to connect to the spirits of place, the animal and plant spirits, and meet up with them in shamanic journeys.

So the steps can be:

  • Spend time near water
  • Do some research on water animals, plants, fish, and other wildlife
  • Go on a shamanic journey to the ocean, marshes, and bays getting to know the energy of the animals and plants that call to you.
  • Make an ocean themed altar.
  • Drink a lot of water – this is the easiest method for connecting to the ocean energy, all water is connected so regular water can be used when salt water is not available.
  • Do grief and releasing work – this is especially important as the ocean is a natural cleanser and purifier of energy, and water rules emotions.

In conclusion, the environment around us as a whole needs us to step up and start being stewards for it. By the time our children’s children are grown our entire worlds ecosystems and environment could be completely ruined.

Remember if you have any questions you can message me any time: [email protected] or find me on social media – you could always give me a follow too if you liked this article.

find me online

Author Katie Mcbrien

More posts by Katie Mcbrien

Leave a Reply

Close Menu

About Salient

The Castle
Unit 345
2500 Castle Dr
Manhattan, NY

T: +216 (0)40 3629 4753
E: [email protected]